This week’s genealogy video roundup includes tips for becoming a better genealogist, learning how to use GEDmatch to compare family trees, finding out what’s new on Ancestry.com and a few fun videos about the Battle of Iwo Jima and who would be King if George Washington didn’t decline the opportunity to reign.
What it doesn’t include is the troubling use of genealogical research to attack living individuals for their ancestors’ choices. On the one hand, wouldn’t it be great if we had so many people climbing their trees and piecing history together? On the other hand, the sins of the fathers should not be passed on to their descendants. So, I’ve excluded videos about this topic.
Check out these great videos that teach you how to get started in genealogy, use MyHeritage and Geni, and more.
- 1870 US Federal Census | Genealogy Clues to Grow Your Family Tree – Boundless Genealogy
- Become a Better Genealogist – Family History Fanatics
- Cultural Periodicals – Day 8 of 31 “Out of the Box” Genealogy Tips – Lisa Lisson
- Find Kissing Cousins on Geni.com using the Multiple Relationship Paths Feature – GeneaVlogger
- MyHeritage.com Website Tour – GenealogyTV
- Organizing Your Family History – myOrganized.life Live
- What’s New at Ancestry – July 2019 Edition – Ancestry
- Where to Begin Your Family History Research – Kindred Genealogy
Genetic Genealogy Videos
It was a slow week for new genetic genealogy videos unless you wanted to watch DNA test result reveals from Hungary and Turkey. I did find a few for you to video.
- AncestryDNA Results: South African (Revised) – Matthew Bode
- Case Study – Using atDNA to Find a German Hometown – thelibrarychannel
- Direct-to-Consumer Ancestry Testing in the Age of Genetic Crime Solving – UC Emeriti Center
History and Social Context
Without history, genealogy does not progress very far and we don’t understand our ancestors. These videos talk about the historical research process, have a fun look at alternative history, and provide context for history.
- The Battle of Iwo Jima | Animated Mini-Documentary – The Armchair Historian
- How to Create Key Inquiry Questions (History Research Process – Step 1) – History Skills
- Military Research & Writing Plus Perspective – Jennifer Holik
- Who would Be King of America (if George Washington had been made a monarch)? – UsefulCharts
Genealogy channels are popping up on YouTube all the time. If you find a channel that should make this list, let me know and we’ll keep an eye on them.
Remember, there are several genealogy channels that don’t make the lineup because they:
- Disable comments, which doesn’t help create a community on YouTube
- They are really audio recordings that are better listened to on a Podcast player.