RootsTech is fast approaching. Now that you can access the class options via the website or the mobile app, it’s time to seriously review the class schedule and make some decisions. If you’re like me, you’re traveling a long way and/or sacrificing time and money to attend. Planning your class schedule ahead is crucial for having a successful conference.
No matter your genealogy or technology skills set, you’ll want to evaluate classes based on some basic guidelines.
- Seek Classes Where You Can Learn Something New
- Select a Class Based on Content, Rather than Big Name (unless you just want to be entertained)
- Select a Class Where the Syllabus Matches the Class Title and Description.
Unsuccessful class selections that are my fault involves falling in love with a class description or title but not reviewing the syllabus ahead of time. Often when I review a handout, I’ll know whether what I read and the presenter meant are a match. A syllabus for each class at RootsTech is ONLY available through the mobile app. Be sure to download the app or follow this hack to access the app through the computer. (Thanks, Randy and Ancestry Insider!)
There are some additional things to keep in mind:
- Add-On Track: This includes all of the labs, as well as sponsor luncheons. My classes are in the Add-On Track for Friday afternoon!
- Getting Started Track: Be warned, unless you’ve purchased the Getting Started Track Pass, you will not be allowed to attend these classes. Apparently, this is a new policy for this year’s RootsTech.
Yes, there are over 200+ options. Find the ones that are right for you. And if you’re uncertain of which class to take, read the syllabus. I was able to narrow my class selections for 4 per hour to one or two possibilities from the handouts alone.
Leave a comment on which classes you plan on taking in the comment section below.
See you at RootsTech 2017!
Further RootsTech Conference Reading:
- 5 Tips to Survive RootsTech 2017
- It’s Okay to Be a Fanatic at RootsTech
- Learn to Write at RootsTech 2017 with Devon and Andy
- Class Selections for RootsTech 2017
- FamCity Launches Kickstarter Campaign
- Win an iPad While Beginning Your Digitizing Project
- Get Your Free Family Infographic
Family History Fanatics Videos from RootsTech 2017